So You Think You Can Dance recap

Paige Wilson

Last night on So You Think You Can Dance the talent was either amazing or just plain weird. The auditions were held in Phoenix. The day started off with extremely talented female lyrical routines including returning veteran Sasha Mallory. She tried out on season four and made it to the Las Vegas but was sent home afterwards. She performed a lyrical chair routine.  This once again got her the golden ticket to Vegas. Other amazing lyrical dancers who made it to Vegas were Ellie Soto and Katie Muth.

One dancer who stole the show was Allison Becker. At sixteen months old she was diagnosed with spiral meningitis and doctors told her parents that she would either become deaf, blind, or die. At twenty-one years old she is deaf and one of the best dancers I have ever seen.  Her dance and her purpose caused Judge Mary Murphy to explode into tears commending her for never giving up and later explain how her cousin had the same problem and gave and unfortunately was not with them anymore. The dance impacted everyone in the auditorium and anyone who watched it.

The next dancers to break barriers were Willem de Vries and Jacob Jason. They were one of the few same sex couple to ever appear on any talent competition.  They danced with such passion and had some of the best technique. Their dance brought judge Mia Michaels to tears, thanking them. They wanted to show the world that it is alright and come out and dance and to inform the nation about same sex dancing.

After that things got wired with an interesting ballet routine.  Then there was Jarvis Johnson who was extremely excited to say the least. He came running in screaming and definitely perked everyone up. His crazy dance was commended by the judges for making them laugh and was sent to the choreography round were Jarvis collapsed from an asthma attack. Unfortunately he was not able to continue but was soon back to his usual self.

The final dancer was Jonathan “legacy” Perez.  He is probably the best hip hop dancer ever on So you think you can dance history. Mia Michaels said he was pure “stupid”. His routine definitely earned him a ticket.

The overall all audition was jaw dropping and I am looking forward to seeing the winners in Vegas.

So You Think You Can Dance website