Freezing weather causes multiple events to be cancelled in Coppell

By Caroline Carter
News Editor

While all schools in Coppell ISD were cancelled on Thursday, community members were informed throughout Friday whether their favorite events would be cancelled as well. Due to the inclement weather several popular holiday events have been either cancelled or postponed.

Coppell Assistance League Home Tour

The Assistance League of Coppell’s annual Christmas in Coppell Home Tour has been cancelled due to icy roads. Proceeds raised through ticket sales will be used to fund Operation School Bell, a program which provides clothing and personal products for local children in need. This year, four Coppell homes were on the tour. Many volunteers from the Coppell National Honor Society were scheduled to volunteer on Friday and Saturday, but all volunteers were notified of the cancellation earlier today.

Coppell Holiday Parade of Lights

Though many groups were scheduled to participate in the Holiday Parade of Lights, the event has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled. The CHS Marching Band and Lariettes were among the many groups who annually walk during the parade. However, the icy roads caused the Dec. 7 parade to be cancelled.

Dec. 7 SAT

After much anticipation from junior and senior students, the SAT that was going to be administered on Dec. 7 has been cancelled for most schools in the Dallas area including Coppell High School, The Hockaday School and Marcus High School. Students were notified earlier today with information about their testing center. For students planning to take the SAT at Coppell High School, the postponed testing date is Jan. 11.

Tree Lighting and Visits with Santa

A favorite holiday tradition of many Coppell residents, the annual Tree Lighting and Visits with Santa event has been postponed. The City of Coppell posted a ‘message from Santa’ to its Facebook page on Friday afternoon explaining the reason for postponing the event. Santa explained to the children of Coppell how it is not safe to drive in the current weather conditions, but he assured them that he would return on Dec. 13. The tree lighting will also occur next Friday 6:00 p.m.

Coppell Farmers Market

With the safety of vendors and community members in mind, the Coppell Farmers Market cancelled its Dec. 7 market. The next market will occur on Dec. 21. The focus will be on healthy eating during the holiday season. This will be the only day to participate in the Farmers Market this month.