How student athletes should act, think, play

Lewisville vs. Coppell
Quarterback Skyler Bonneau, junior, runs the ball down the field. Photo by Sandy Iyer.

By Sydney Williams

Whether athletes realize it or not, hard work pays off.

The famous words “hard work pays off,” should ring true for every athlete out there . No matter how much we do not want to admit it, it is hard to not accept the truth. It is always best to go the extra mile, especially when you are competing against the person next to you.

Being a student athlete is hard enough with waking up every morning at 6 a.m. or earlier, keeping their grades well enough to play and being able to handle anything that comes their way, but that is exactly what the coaches want to see.

Even according to coaches performance in the classroom is just as important as performance on the field. The coaches know the athletes try their best on and off the field and court; however there is always going to be that one person who is step ahead of everyone else in anything.

“Based on how [the player] practices and based on his performance on the field, in the classroom and in the weight room will determine whether he plays or not,” assistant football and baseball coach Blake Johnson said.

As a high school student, responsibility to academics are a high priority. Even when their efforts seem to go unnoticed by coaches, teammates provide that the much needed affirmation to keep going.

Being a team on and off the field is crucial to persevere. The student athlete’s job is to feel as though they can conquer any team with their teammates by their side.

Everything will fall into place for anybody who is willing to work hard enough to achieve what he or she is striving for.

The coaches notice the student’s hard and motivated work. It is how the athlete uses their advice, not the other way around. It is not like the coaches do not tell the athlete’s what they need to do, because they do.

“We talk to them about how they can approve and what areas they can focus on to get better on their position, so they can play on the field more,” Johnson said.

Here is a tip: put your main priorities first.

If the athlete loves the sport they are playing for and hopes that it will cause them to get a full ride to the college of his or her choice, they will need to focus on what is most important to them.

An athlete willing to do whatever it takes to become successful should focus on their religion, whatever it might be, family, a few friends, grades, to make sure they can play and have a well enough GPA and their sport.

It is not like the coaches do not want the players to quit having a life. They want to see how committed they are because that is the one who is going to get the most playing time out of everyone else.

Keep working hard; if the athlete thinks the coaches have not noticed them thus far, they have, just work harder, run faster, stay after practice longer. Be apart of more camps like NBC Basketball Camp or Velocity Sports Performance, that specializes in individuals and team sports in their communities.

Sports camps are the best camps to be apart of when trying to become a successful player.

Every athlete needs to differentiate themselves from the guy next to them wanting the same thing; however, there is a well known saying that says “you get what you give”.  Never be afraid of competition, but instead the athlete should use it to their advantage.

The number one thing an athlete can do for their team, coach and themselves is to always be a strong and ambitious player and student.