Coppell students conform to social norms, lack style originality

Coppell+students+conform+to+social+norms%2C+lack+style+originality+

By Sydney Williams

A small town in suburban Dallas known as Coppell is said to have its own bubble, covering it from the outside world. Many call it this because Coppell students fail to realize that there is more to this world other than the rumors, gossip – and drama that happens at school.

If you were to walk the halls of Coppell High School, you would see that a majority of the students look the same, style-wise. Nike shorts, big T-shirt-and sneakers are the girls’ favorite outfits while basketball shorts, Jordans or Nike sneakers and T-shirts are the boys’ favorites. The laid back style is a trend in the CHS atmosphere.

What happened to waking up and loving to get dressed up for school? Going to school in a church dress, high heels, and curly hair is not the kind of dressed up I’m talking about, but the outfit that comes across as “Yes, I want to be here” and not “I’m counting down until the last bell”.

When students dress more appropriately, it makes the teacher’s job easier when they know their students want to learn and not have to. Anything otherwise is distracting and at times disturbing. It is not OK to see a student come to school dressed as if they were going to a concert.

I am not just noticing a lack of change in the student’s attire; I am viewing the same item in the school hallways over and over again (example: the Pali Hawaii Sandals). By looking around the school I’ve seemed to notice that few students buy certain items because they like them, instead they buy them because they saw another student in the classroom or hallway wearing the same thing.

Is this what we have come to? Yes, people influence others, and yes, people inspire us to buy a clothing item or materialistic things, but in no way does it mean that we have to oblige. So, why do we do it? Is it because we want to follow the crowd or is it just a trend?

We follow because we are afraid of being different. We are afraid that if everyone else was doing it and we were not, people would think and look at us different.  We follow because if everyone else did it, we would want to also. It has nothing to do with trying “something new”. It is all about what the public wants. The new style may be a trend for some while, but sooner or later it gets old and reused (example: Nike shorts and T-shirts).

The answer to why we buy stuff we saw another student in the hallway wearing is because we want to follow the crowd instead of leading the crowd.

It is OK to be different CHS. God didn’t put us in this world to be the same, if he did he would’ve had made us have the same personality.