Voters pass $79.5 million bond package

By Julianne Cauley
News Editor

After 2,586 votes were cast, the single proposition bond package of $79.5 million passed by 63.34 percent on Saturday.

Due to the need for a new elementary campus, advancements in technology, improvements in maintenance and security and new athletic facilities, this bond package is the district’s largest to date.

One of the Board of Trustee’s most desired aspects of the package is the new elementary school located in Irving city limits, Cypress Waters. This development around the North Lake area will include 1,700 single-family units and 1,340 multi-family units.

“I voted for the bond to pass and the reason is simple to me; all students deserve an equal opportunity to be educated properly,” Coppell resident Traci Thompkins said. “I read on all of the posts on the district website before I went in to vote today and saw the statistics about the students living in that Valley Ranch area. The fact that they do not have another neighborhood school to fit their growing needs is addressed in the bond and I believe it was vital to pass the bond so each student is accommodated for.”

In the past five years, enrollment at Valley Ranch Elementary rose from 550 students to over 680. In addition to this, an additional 750 kids are bused out of the Valley Ranch area to four other elementary schools. With the passing of the bond, these children will be able to attend a more conveniently located elementary school fulfilling the district’s philosophy of “neighborhood schools.”

According to Coppell Superintendent Dr. Jeff Turner said elementary schools have the seats available for students; however, they are not in the correct locations. In order to get through the next year elementary school wise, a redistricting plan would have to be made prior to building the new building.

While the bond passed, many people were still opposed to different components.

“Our district is really pushing for technology advancements,” Coppell resident Suzanne Wilks said. “I do not want our students to become overly dependent. Too much technology can lead to academic dishonesty and students can be distracted for an entire class length.”

District-wide technology infrastructure, replacements and improvements account for $12 million of the bond package.

“My son loves the technology he gets to use in class,” Thompkins said. “Whenever he has an assignment that requires him to create an electronic product, he is so invested in it and it is some of the best schoolwork I have seen. Our kids grew up in a technology based generation and educating them in this atmosphere prepares them for their futures.”

According to Board of Trustees secretary Susie Kemp, it is estimated all textbooks will be available online. In order to keep up with how curriculum is being distributed, students need access to the devices granting them this access.

In addition to the new elementary school and district-wide technology, other aspects of the bond include safety and security improvements, learning upgrades and renovations, band, library and instructional materials and improvements, Coppell High School expansions and renovations and district-wide maintenance projects and mechanical renovations.

“Even without a student currently in the Coppell school system, I think this bond really benefits the entire community,” Coppell resident Gail Peterson said. “Yes, it will cost us taxpayers a little more, but we need to focus on the big picture. Creating more space and improving the physical and technological upkeep of our schools will make the value of living here rise. My kids have graduated and I hope to move to Dallas soon so my husband is closer to work and a school system with more space for its students and with more technology will help my home value go up and I hope the voters see this.”

3