Coppell lacrosse falls to Jesuit

By Jay Carroll

After a very impressive 14-5 victory over Austin Bowie in the season opener, the Coppell Lacrosse team took a step back as they lost the first district game to rival Jesuit 13-6. The Cowboys came out flat, letting Jesuit score three unanswered goals.

“It’s early in the season,” head coach Alex Poole said. “Our sticks are a little rusty, and we need to handle the ball better, communicate better, and take smarter shots.”

Coppell never held the lead in the game, and let the game quickly slip away from them in the second half as Jesuit scored six goals in the second half. The Cowboys just could not get anything going on offense as they turned the ball over time after time due to bad passing and penalties.

Photo courtesy of Jill Fisher.
Junior goalie Jonathan Ferree stands ready to stop a Jesuit offensive shot. Coppell lost to their division rival, the Rangers, 13-6. Photo courtesy of Jill Fisher.

“Communication on the defensive side of the ball is where we need to focus,” Poole said. “We also need to develop a little more rhythm on the offensive end.”

While the game resulted in the lost, strong play from Johnathan Ferree in the goal and Tyler Hopkins at attack is something the Cowboys have to their advantage throughout the rest of the season. Coppell will look to bounce back from this loss as they take on Hillcrest on Feb. 26.

“We could have had more heart in the game,” attackman Dillon Braun said. “We need to believe more that we could win, and not second guess ourselves.”