New director reconstructs choir pyramid

Photo by Rowan Khazendar Choir director Josh Brown plays the piano at the after-school A Cappella rehearsal for varsity choir members.

By Nikki Dabney

The Vivace! show choir and Madrigals chamber choir have been the face of the Coppell High School choral program since they began, but the new choir director, Josh Brown, is taking the program in a new direction.

Brown’s last position was at Abilene High School as head director where he led the choir to 12 UIL sweepstakes trophies in a matter of three years. He plans to continue his success at competition, take Coppell to new heights, and eventually become a model for other schools.

In the short term, Brown is making immediate changes to place the choir students in a position to excel. He is implementing more technology, such as a document camera, projector and online sign ups to make class run more smoothly and maintain effective communication.

“I want to have strong relationships between the directors and students and between directors and parents,” Brown said. “They should know what is going on and what is expected in advance.”

As far as long-term goals, Brown has a strong vision for Coppell choir. He wants Madrigals and Vivace! to continue to grow, but is focused on developing the A Cappella Choir an amalgamation of both of the former choirs. This after school choir has required rehearsals on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and therefore requires a large time commitment.

“Although it is hard right now, I think it is good that the directors are cracking down on rehearsals,” Madrigal senior captain Zeb White said. “It’s made me realize that choir is on par with other commitments and the directors aren’t as OK with us missing rehearsal for other activities.”

Choir members obviously love to sing, but most are not as enthusiastic about the tedious- but necessary- task of sight-reading music. Brown is determined to prepare his students in music literacy.

“We used to do sight-reading every once in a while, but now we practice first thing every day,” Vivace! senior Amanda Stephens said. “It is necessary to be able to read music and it helps us learn it more quickly.”

While Coppell choir students are not used to this regimented method, Brown has learned from his past experience that sight reading on a regular basis makes them better choir students and he is preparing them for their future.

“When they leave Coppell, these students won’t be able to read choir music because they’ll be by themselves,” Brown said. “Sight-reading will make them better overall.”

Along with the time commitment and literacy practice, Brown is also requiring more participation in contests, such as Region Choir, Solo and Ensemble and All State. He wants to challenge students individually beginning when they are freshmen.

“It’s always been a requirement that a varsity member audition for the All State process, but now it’s being enforced,” Stephens said.

While some choirs have shifted up and down the totem pole, some are new all together. Respira is a show choir, similar to Vivace!, but is only female and each show is set at 20 minutes, whereas Vivace! can have as many musical numbers as they choose.

“It is unusual that Coppell is known for its show choirs. Most schools have a strong mixed varsity A Cappella program,” White said. “The change is hard for Coppell because in the past choir students have aspired to be in Vivace! or Madrigals, so I’m worried that not as many people will sign up for choir.”

Brown also got rid of Choir I, a nonperforming choir, and replaced it with two periods of a collaboration choir with the special needs students.

The most far-sighted goal on Brown’s agenda is to be able to attend a state or national convention in the next five to 10 years. A school has to have the same director for two to three years in order to apply, so CHS hasn’t been able to attend for some while.

“This type of competition will be more exciting to be a part of and kids like to be a part of something great,” Brown said.

Change is always uncomfortable in the beginning and this year will be the transition period. Brown is enthusiastic and dedicated to making positive changes. All eyes are on him as CHS watches which direction Coppell’s legendary choir is headed next.