Traditions

Traditions

By Angela Almeida
Class of 2010

The transition from middle school to high school is frightening and unpredictable. Fresh- man initiation into CHS should begin once valued traditions are taught. The following are a few but nonetheless vital customs every true cowboy learns.
A well-known plumbing device, the plunger is rarely associated with pride.
At CHS pep rallies and athletic events, this bathroom fixture defies the norm to be the spirit of the stands. Who gets the opportunity to represent the spirit of the school? For the 2008-09 year, Plunger Boy was senior Caleb Gottlich.
This simple search for school spirit was created in 1998 by senior Luke Pierson and has since transformed into a legacy.

For the Silver Spurs, chiseled biceps represent more than tireless hours working out. In essence, they stand for their die hard attendance at school functions, enthusiasm and stamina by doing push-ups for every point scored.
“They’re [Silver Spurs] are very unique,” 2008 graduate and former Silver Spur Chase Williams said. “You have to be the right kind of person to motivate the crowd.”
In 1998, a group of students approached teachers Kyle Dutton and Duane Masengill with the idea of imitating the University of Texas’ Silver Spurs. Dutton and Masengill became the sponsors, thus paving the way for future spirited. To be a Silver Spur, a student must be a junior or senior and tryout. Tryouts entail being judged by school administrators and the returning captain.

With a black cowboy hat, red shirt and flags parading “COPPELL,” these students are not afraid to stick out. Silver Spurs are also worn on their boots, hence the name, as well as Dutton’s tradition of wearing a duster and spur outfit to school.

Channeling their inner-adolescence with sequins and sparkles, every year senior girls adorn overalls with these and other materials for ultimate spirit. During football season, seniors wear decked out overalls to school and the Friday night football game.
“They were fun [to make] and it’s a tradition,” 2008 graduate Alexia Scott said. “It cost about $200 though.”
Some seniors opt for taking a cheaper route by borrowing scraps of material from friends. This averages about $50 including the price of overalls; however, some seniors are willing to spend up to $300 at stores such as It’s a Party.
Whether school or neon colors, senior overalls represent self-expression amidst school pride.