Applications for Red Jackets, NSHS due Friday

By Addy Buigas-Lopez
Business Manager

Red Jackets – The Red Jackets are among the first high school students we meet as freshmen; they lead the tours through the labyrinth of hallways at CHS, they organize the freshman social and they answer the questions we really want to know. Once we familiarize with the school, we still witness their influence at CHS. We watch them make our guests feel welcomed and hear them every morning as they go through the daily announcements.  The Red Jackets are the leaders of Coppell High School.

Last week, applications were available to juniors interested in representing CHS by becoming a Red Jacket. If a person interested met all requirements, acquired 3 letters of recommendation and wrote an essay in which they described how their experience at CHS has led them to join Red Jackets, that person turns in an application to be interviewed. After the interview, it is then decided what group of people will be selected to represent CHS.

Applications for Red Jackets are due to Mr. Jasso’s office by this Friday, March 30.

National Spanish Honor Society – For those dedicated to learning the language of Spanish, the National Spanish Honor Society (NSHS) is made for them. NSHS is an academic honors program designed to recognize students who have not only completed their required years of language, but those who have continued to three and four years of a Spanish education. It rewards those students with “A” averages and good citizenship with a chance to become a part of one of the prestigious honor societies our nation offers.

For CHS, it is required that all students applying for NSHS are enrolled or have already taken Spanish III B. Each student must also have a 90 or above average for every semester of Spanish thus far and a teacher’s signature vouching for the citizenship of the applicant. Upon admittance into the society, students meet occasionally to discuss a variety of topics, including volunteer hours.

Applications for NSHS are due to Ms. Segler’s room by this Friday, March 30.