Entertainment affecting Christian lifestyle

By Tolu Salako

Media is everywhere; there is no escaping it. It is easy for students to be influenced by what they watch and listen to regardless of their personal beliefs. 

Religion is a main priority in many people’s lives, which affects their mindset towards certain issues. Students are aware that not all entertainment is positive entertainment, and much of today’s music may go against their religion.

The songs today contain certain aspects such as premarital sex and the use of curse words, which go against many students’ personal beliefs. However, teenagers are still willing to listen to these explicit themes, containing suggestive material.

Christians have created their own form of entertainment including Christian Hip-Hop, Christian TV shows and movies in order to overshadow the music that is very popular amongst teenagers today.

“I notice that when I listen to more secular music, I feel like I am invincible and I do not have to follow the rules; I almost feel like a rebel,” English teacher Brynlea Taylor said. “However, I often listen to Christian music and I always notice that my life is much smoother, which is why I try to avoid negative music that is out there today.”

Music is not the only piece of entertainment that affects Christian life. TV shows and movies are some of the many ways that influence many teenagers. Movies today are much more explicit regarding violence or sexual themes, making many religious individuals opposed to watching them.

Sophomore Mary-Claire Phillips believes it is understandable to watch and listen to certain parts of the media because of one’s religion.

“I understand why people would be influenced by what they listen to because of their religion, but I just was not raised that way.” Phillips said. “I guess people need to have an appreciation for Christian media to watch it, but I will watch movies and music regardless of the morals.”

Not all students were raised in Christian homes; however, media still has an effect on their lives, whether good or bad.

“I can definitely tell those students who listen to that hard ‘gangster rap,’ and you can tell those girls who listen to those songs about drinking and living life to the fullest,” Taylor said. “They are living their life that way and it definitely affects them.”

Everyone is different, and therefore certain types of media appeal to different people, especially concerning their religious beliefs.

Sophomore Sydney Nguyen is willing to watch and listen to certain portions of the media that may go against her religion.

“I really do not think about my religion when I watch movies or listen to music,” Nguyen said. “As bad as it may sound, I really only care if the song has a good tune and beat, not the lyrics.”

Students and teachers alike are influenced by the media around them, which can have either a positive or negative affect on their lives. Religion is a huge portion in some students’ lives, and the media contributes to some of the sin they hold in their lives because of its “negative” themes.