Maynard brings the magic

By Kristen Shepard

Though he carries no wand and may or may not have a rabbit in his hat, freshman Aaron Maynard believes not only in magic, but in the power it has to change lives, especially his own.

Freshman student and Magician Aaron Maynard shows off one of his tricks on stage. Photo by Rowan Khazendar.

To Maynard, magic is more than just a hobby, as he uses it to bring joy to the hundreds he has performed for. The magic began in Maynard’s life when he was 4 and was attending a magic performance with his mother.  He had the desire to understand how the magician’s amazing illusions worked and eventually wanted to be able to recreate them himself.

“I remember the acts very clearly and being fascinated by everything the magician did,” Maynard said. “After the show I got a small magic kit and then it all began, I was hooked.”

At only 14, Maynard has 10 years of experience with magic under his belt. His growth and improvement is an apparent result of the effort he puts into his work. Over the years, he has impressed hundreds with his magic tricks, including the Coppell mayor and city council. Awestruck by Maynard’s performance, Coppell Mayor Doug Stover, along with the council, declared the last week of October annually as “Magic Week” in Coppell.

“As a mom, I was very proud to watch Aaron perform, but at one instance, I thought he messed up [the trick], and I felt horrible for him,” JoAnn Maynard, Aaron’s mother said. “In the end, he surprised the council by pulling out a giant version of the right card from the trick. He’s always looking for new tricks and surprises. It keeps me on my toes.”

More than the city is taking notice of Aaron’s talents. Because of his leadership, he received recognition from the Society of American Magicians.

Each week, Maynard spends up to 10 hours practicing with magic. As you can imagine, the numerous events Aaron attends can be hard to balance as a student. From Dallas Magician’s Club meetings, to performances at restaurants and social events, Aaron works hard to improve and prepare for performances.

“I try and do what I can to fit as many practice hours into my week,” Maynard said. “I really have to manage my time to get everything done, but I love magic so it’s worth it.”

Maynard knows that to master a trick, it can take dozens of times to be able to perform even the simplest trick. His favorite trick is levitation, but he practices dozens of others from card tricks to disappearing acts.

Even though he has mastered many of his tricks, Aaron seeks to develop and improve his skills. He is involved in the CHS Improv Club and even helped the drama department by performing at its annual dinner and auction night.

Photo by Rowan Khazendar.

Beyond Aaron, there is an entire community of magicians in the nation and the local area. With societies like the Dallas Magicians Club and the Society of American Magicians, the magic community is bustling with activity. A magician as young as Aaron is rare; he is the youngest member in the Dallas Magician’s Club by nearly 30 years. Regardless of his young age, Aaron is already climbing up the ladder of experience.

Aaron, founder and vice president of the Young Magicians of Dallas Club, is encouraging its membership and growth and never ceases from taking on opportunities for leadership roles, regardless of his age.

Magic is certainly not the average extra-curricular activity, and the lack of magicians in the Coppell area hasn’t stopped Aaron from pursuing his love. Instead of letting this get him down, Aaron sees his peers’ lack of magic knowledge as an opportunity to shock his friends with his magical abilities.

Magic has undoubtedly given Maynard abilities as a leader portrayed in other aspects of his life. A member of Boy Scout Troop 842 in Coppell, Aaron benefits greatly from the techniques and values taught in scouting.

“My goal someday is to be an Eagle Scout and I’m on my way,” Maynard said. “Someday I might even hope to use magic to complete my Eagle Scout project, you never know.”

Passionate about combining his loves, Aaron is currently campaigning for a magic merit badge to be added to the list of badges issued by the Boys Scouts of America. Few proposals are given official merit badges, and though his request was originally denied, Aaron has no intention of giving up. If there is one thing magic has taught Aaron, it’s that you have to keep getting up after life pushes you down.

“Even though we didn’t get the badge added, it’s teaching Aaron not to give up and to fight for his passions,” JoAnn Maynard said. “That’s a lesson you’ll use for the rest of your life.”

As a magician, a scout, and a high school student, Maynard encourages people his age to follow their interests, and to share their talents with the world. Above all, he reminds teenagers not to become discouraged.

“Practice does not make perfect – it makes you better. You are going to make mistakes,” Maynard said. “I think that magic has given me the ability to speak and perform. It’s allowed me to bring joy to people and I love that.”

On Oct. 15, Aaron brought joy to hundreds, as young magicians boarded a train sponsored by the Make-A-Wish foundation. Over 160 terminally ill children attended for excitement and entertainment. Spread out in five cars, the Make-A-Wish children and their friends and families shared a magical bonding opportunity that will impact them forever.

“It takes a special person to be able to work with both healthy children and sick children,” JoAnn Maynard said. “Doing picnics and things are fun, but these are the things that impact people for a lifetime. You have to hold a happy face and Aaron always has that.”

These are the events that make Aaron’s practice hours worthwhile. Volunteering is his way of using his hobbies to make a difference in the world. One of the MOSAIC program organizers, Michelle Bauer noticed Aaron’s passion and proficiency in his work.

“When I first interviewed Aaron, I could tell he had great skills,” Bauer said. “He was very knowledgeable and worked well with the elementary age children at one of our picnics. He taught juggling and the kids were extremely fascinated. Aaron is on his way to success, he works hard and will continue to bring joy to people.”

1