Dual Credit classes

By Dyer Whitt

At Coppell High School students are given the opportunity and privilege of taking college credited classes while still being enrolled in high school.

This particular program is called, “Dual Credit,” and has become a popular choice in many junior and senior students’ schedules. The program is unique because it gives students the opportunity to take a college level class in place of the standard on-level class. Students can earn college credit for their freshman year of college, which can even help them graduate college in less than four years.

Dual Credit classes are only offered to juniors and seniors and are usually attended two days a week. Classes may be scheduled in the morning or the afternoon consisting of two eighty-minute class periods. North Lake College, a branch of the Dallas County Community Colleges, implemented the program by offering over 60 courses for students to take.

One of the main reasons why students enjoy the Dual Credit program, is that it allows them to have three “off periods” each day they do not have class. In turn, students will be able to sleep in for the first three periods or get out early the last three periods. This is beneficial to teen sleeping habits and schedules, but also a good idea for students who may have a job.

Whether it be the college credit and money you save, sleep, or just the experience of college in general, Dual Credit is an excellent and recommended program for all juniors and seniors. If you are interested in classes at North Lake College please visit their website.