Vivace! begins preparation for Spring Show

Senior captain Jessie Ross leads the group rehearsal in preparation for the Spring Vivace Show. Photo by Aditi Shrikant.

Beth Anne Carroll

Singing and dancing are skills difficult enough to accomplish alone, but the talented members of Vivace! Show choir are ready to prove that they can do both.

The annual Vivace! Spring show takes place May 12-14 in the auditorium. Even though the show is still a month away, choir members are already hard at work preparing their performance.

“We started working on the show as soon as we got back from winter break and everyone is still working really hard,” senior captain Jessie Ross said.

The show will display various styles of music and dance, ranging from hip-hop to Broadway to pop music. The show will also feature a collaboration with Madrigals, the varsity chamber choir, hip-hop dance numbers and the annual alumni song, “Come Sail Away”.

“People can expect a lot of high energy, a lot of powerful Broadway singing, as well as dancing,” Vivace! director Jeff Schulz said.

The choir will perform 14 musical numbers in the show and some members will have an opportunity to show off their individual talents through fillers between group numbers.

Producing a successful show has not come easily for the 32 members of the choir. In addition to working during fourth period every day, the students meet for rehearsal every Thursday after school for two hours. The number of rehearsals will only increase until opening night.

The choir’s daily rehearsals consist of perfecting music and learning choreography for each song in the program.

“Preparation for the show is going really well. We only have a few numbers left to get under our belts and the show is really coming along,” Schulz said.

November’s desert show was extremely successful, with the students putting on a great show, which attracted a large audience for both performances. The choir is predicting that this show will be even better.

“The spring show is always more extravagant than the fall show, so we are all really excited about the songs we are doing,” Ross said.

One big change to this year’s show is the addition of an extra performance. Whereas all of Vivace’s shows in the past have been just two nights, the spring show will be held on Thursday and Friday night with a Saturday matinee show.

The show will also play a special role for some, as it is the last for the seniors in the choir.

“I’m looking forward to doing the last show with the seniors. I will really miss them next year,” junior Anna Nudo said.

The multi-talented members of Vivace! will get to see the result of all of their hard work in just over a month, but until then, their preparation continues.

“If people have never been to a show, they need to experience show choir the way we do it here. It is not necessarily what you see on TV, it’s much more realistic and a lot more fun,” Schulz said.

The Vivace! Spring show will be May 12-14 in the auditorium. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $5 or from any member the week of.