Lariettes take fourth place for second weekend in a row

Ashley Attanucci
Web Manager

The past weekend, the Lariettes had the opportunity to show off their talents once again at the American Dance/Drill Team Competition of Texas, also known as the Texas Dance Classic.

After weeks of personal preparation for solos and a year’s worth of morning practices in prep for football season, pep rallies and competitions like this, the Coppell Lariettes proceeded to dominate at Rowlett High School, competiing in pom, jazz, hip-hop and kick, coming into fourth place overall. The Lariettes also won fourth place overall in their Crowd Pleasers competition the previous weekend, hosted at Timber Creek High School Feb. 19th.

Coppell’s Varsity Drill team was the only team categorized in the mega division and thusly placed in first in all dances of that team size (the largest).

After a full day of competing, the awards ceremony revealed that four Coppell girls placed into finals with their solos: Katie Kunkle with a “sassy” jazz solo, Captain Katie Purdue, Casey Bass and Jenny Katlein with their “lyrical” solos, a mix of ballet and jazz.

It was a long Saturday for the Lariettes, one that started on buses at CHS at 7 a.m. and ended on buses past 12 a.m. the next morning, but it served as a memorable one, especially for the senior dancers for whom this contest would be their last formal opportunity to perform with the drill team.