LatestNews

Coppell Tennis concludes great season at regionals

By Thomas Hair

In recent years, the Coppell High School Varsity Tennis Team has enjoyed tremendous success in post season play. Last season, the Cowboys and Cowgirls of the tennis team earned the title of 6-5A District Champions.

The tennis team is coached by Jane Jackson and Rich Foster, who have been working with the team for months to ensure that this season would be as prosperous as past seasons. With excellent players such as Tyler Stayer, it would be hard to imagine anything but a deep playoff run.

Indeed, on October 19 the Cowboys ventured to the district playoffs in hope of qualifying for Regionals. The tennis teamed fared very well at district, placing in 2nd after a tough loss to Southlake Carrol. Being in the top 2, Coppell advanced to Regionals.

Regionals is a single elimination tournament in which the champion is sent to the State Tournament to represent the region. Coppell is in region 1, and on October 29 traveled to Abilene with hopes of qualifying for the State Tournament on their mind. The Cowboys immediately had a stroke of bad luck and drew the #1 seed San Angelo Central in the first round. Despite the tough opponent, Coppell played well but could not pull out the victory.

“We played them very close, we were down 3-4 after doubles, but they pulled away and won after the doubles were done. The regional tournament is single elimination so once we lost we were out” Coach Rich Foster said.

It was a frustrating ending to the season for the tennis team, but it was a superb effort. Making it to regionals is no easy task, and is a feat to be celebrated. There is no shortage of talent here at CHS, and the Cowboys are sure to excel in the spring season, and return for another Regionals appearance next year.

Plano West High School ended up winning Regionals and represented Region 1 at the State Tournament on November 5-6. New Braunfels High School would go on to win the State Tournament. For complete results, go here.

The following two tabs change content below.

2012-2013 School Year Archive