• Coppell ISD is closed for spring break. Coppell Student Media publishing resumes March 18.

Frozen yogurt arrives in time for winter season in Irving

By Daphne Chen

A new frozen yogurt shop, Yogurt Zone, opened up today in Las Colinas.

Today was the grand opening of a new frozen yogurt shop in Las Colinas, a few minutes south of where many CHS students live in Valley Ranch (Irving). The store, dubbed Yogurt Zone, is one of only a few places that serves frozen yogurt near Coppell, and so far is the closest. Other popular frozen yogurt shops are Yogurtland in Carrollton (in the H-Mart shopping plaza) and I Heart Yogurt in University Park, for those who are willing to travel a little farther.

Frozen yogurt, or “fro-yo”, has become a popular alternative in recent years to ice cream, which has a higher fat content because it is made using cream, whereas frozen yogurt is made from yogurt and milk or other dairy products. It is often served with fruit toppings and is slightly more tart than ice cream.

Yogurt Zone is open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week, which indicates that this shop is also trying to cash in on the “trendy” aspect of fro-yo, making places like Yogurtland in Carrollton social places to hang out while scooping up a delicious icy treat. Located at 7403 N. Macarthur Blvd., Yogurt Zone is hosting a free tasting party this entire weekend, and with 12 flavors and 50 toppings to choose from, that’s 600 combinations! You can also find coupons and a job application on the store Web site.

For more information about various frozen yogurt shops around Dallas, read this article from the Dallas Morning News.

1