Everyone deserves a gold star

By Satvika Ananth

A few days ago I attended a Red Jackets event which required me to stand up and deliver an impromptu speech in front of my peers, which naturally made my hands a little sweaty and my throat a little dry.

When I finished speaking, I sat down, not knowing what to expect. As I re-entered the safety of my hard plastic seat, I found my peers applauding me.

To my very great surprise, the fact that they were physically exhibiting their appreciation of my statements, that they had made the choice to move their hands together and make noise in my favor, gave me an immense sense of security. And there, in a moment of relieved epiphany, I discovered the power of affirmation.

Remember back in first grade, when you’d get a gold star every time you kept up good conduct for a full day? For me, that star could mean the highlight of a bad day. I could always be assured that even if every single thing went wrong, so long as I didn’t throw a tantrum about it, my teacher would smile and give me that much-awaited gold star to remind me that I was doing a good job.

Even though we no longer have coloring for homework, I still believe that every now and then, everyone deserves the chance to receive a metaphorical gold star. What we need is a smile, a thumbs-up, a round of applause. We need to be reminded that what we’re doing is meaningful, useful and effective.

You’ve seen the power of affirmation, from the “Rudy Clap” to standing ovations. When someone whose opinion you value tells you you’re doing well, it means more than simply receiving a good grade or a trophy.

It doesn’t take much to affirm someone’s beliefs or work. You don’t necessarily have to agree with the outcome of their efforts; merely support their labors. Your effort is minimal – no analysis is needed, no critiques must be made – simply tell a person that you appreciate what they have done.

How? To begin with, applaud them. The longest standing ovation in history lasted 80 minutes, when Placido Domingo received 101 curtain calls after performing as Otello. I’d imagine Domingo felt pretty good about himself after that ovation – he continued to be successful in the world of opera. Imagine being on the receiving end of such an applause. It would not only make you feel proud of your own accomplishments, but it could be the convincing factor that leads you to pursue a career you would otherwise not have thought yourself worth.

Or if applause isn’t appropriate, just smile. And not one of those tight-lipped, awkward smiles. Smile in a way that will show someone you really, truly believe they deserve your smile. Nod your head a little, to exhibit your understanding of their argument or their accomplishment.

In addition, it never hurts to go out of your way to tell them, face to face, that you appreciated their work. Not only will the individual be delighted that you obviously think they’ve done a good job, but you may also feel better about yourself for the rest of the day.

What happens when you don’t affirm someone, particularly when they deserve it? A friend once told me about a time when she was dancing in another country, and instead of applauding her at the end of her 10 minute routine, the audience lapsed into absolute silence. She was shaken and near tears before someone informed her that in this culture, applause was rude, and complete silence was the highest laudation she could receive.

If it had been me, quite frankly, I would have run off the stage crying. After being a part of American culture, I’ve become accustomed to the praise – the gold stars if you may – that come with accomplishment. Such is the case for most students nowadays, and while many people consider that a less-than-desirable quality in our culture, I consider it a good thing. When someone is successful, and when they put time and sweat into their efforts, they deserve to be encouraged.

They deserve the Rudy Clap, the standing ovation, the gold star. They deserve the affirmation, and you deserve to be able to give it to them.