Truly a Texas girl

By Rebecca Fowler

Everything’s bigger in Texas, and we are proud of it. Not only do we sport the world’s largest cowboy boots (found in San Antonio), but we also have the most pride and the biggest hearts… to name just a few of the reasons the state holds a special place in my heart.

I love Texas. Everything from the flat land revealing the sky from horizon to horizon to our Southern slang. I love the stereotypes which come along with living here, as comical as they may be. Instead of offending me, it makes me proud to be a Texan when someone comments on my accent or asks if I own a horse.

Aside from culture, the “Lone Star State” is also special because of its traditions and unique associations. For example, where else can you go to a state fair serving everything—and I mean everything—fried?

We also are known for our crazy traditions such as high school homecoming mums and garters, seen on a grand scale at CHS, and the way we flock to the TV and stadiums for football games. You are simply not Texan if you don’t scream when your team makes a great touchdown or deck out in college sportswear when the “big game” is on. As fanatical as it is, the customary football season enthusiasm is as much a part of the state as Dairy Queen and unpredictable weather.

But more than the extravagant things we do, Texans are special because of the way we are.

We almost have our own language, knowing that a “coke” is not necessarily a Coca-Cola but any form of soft drink, and “y’all” is perfectly fitting and more specific than “you.” We measure distance in minutes without realizing it (How far is Wal-Mart from my house? About 10 minutes) and know that anything lower than SPF 30 is a joke in the summer.

I, along with all other Texans, have the weather down perfectly, making sure my car has both A/C and heating, because I will most likely be using them both in one day. I know the best parking spot is determined by shade rather than proximity and am accustomed to listening to the weather report before choosing what to wear.

Though these aspects of Texas life are some of the reasons I love the state, they also drive me crazy at times, making me want to move far away.

For example, when the pavement burns my feet, I still get sunburned in October and the hot air in my parked car suffocates me, it can get a little tiring. Sometimes I wish our weather would just be balanced, that we would have warm summers and cold winters. And maybe over three inches of ice…I mean snow.

Also, there just is not that much to do in Texas. Yes, there is Six Flags, the Alamo, a few big cities and the beach, but we certainly do not have a Disney World, Broadway or Grand Canyon. It would be nice to have a few outstanding landmarks to define our state and give us a way to pass the time and attract tourists.

However, I can admit our state is striking for just being what it is, and that is why I am able to forgive Texas for the characteristics that I do not always enjoy.

Even when I am not perfectly content with my state, I am proud of the passionate features which are specially our own. But it’s not just the crazy things about Texas that make me love it, it is also the sentimental aspects of the state.

For example, Texans value our state and recognize its beauty and matchlessness when we say the pledge to the Texas flag every day in school. Though some people view this as a prideful and unnecessary tradition, I think it is wonderful. I believe it is important for children to grow up with an appreciation for not only their country but also their state, as that is where loyalty begins.

One of my other favorite Texas traditions is taking bluebonnet pictures. My sister and I have countless photos of us as little girls, sitting and playing in patches of the striking flowers, and I know it is a tradition in many other families as well. I think it is a beautiful custom, combining family love and Texas pride.

All in all, Texas is beautiful to me, both in land and character. While I love the outrageous things we do and are known for, I also appreciate the respect and pride we have for our state. Like they say, “Texas, it’s like a whole other country.”

1