Euhus teams up with Song Placements

By Loren Hughes

All famous singers come from somewhere: Britney Spears from Kentwood, La., Taylor Swift from Reading, Pa. and Michael Jackson from Gary, Ind. Not all of these towns are necessarily popular or stick out in anyone’s minds, but it is the people who come from them that make these towns famous.

Photo by Hailey Lommen.
Photo by Hailey Lommen.

Is it Coppell’s turn to gain common recognition and celebrity status?

Coppell High School senior Ben Euhus has recently signed with Song Placements, a company representing artists and sends their songs to movies, radio and television stations, while also searching for venues for their clients to perform gigs at.

“In the last two weeks, I’ve had different songs of mine sent out to about six different independent films and, just recently, they sent my songs to the CW network,” Euhus said. “I really want to change the music industry because people don’t know that there is better music out there and they really just aren’t playing it.”

Before Euhus’ deal with Song Placements, his musical talents ranged back to his early childhood.

“My first memories of Ben being affected by music were at church when he was just a baby,” said Stacy Euhus, Ben’s mother. “He would clap and sway back and forth to the music during the worship time; you could tell he just loved the music.”

The first instrument Euhus ever learned to play was the violin, where he first introduced his vocal and instrumental talent in sixth grade at the Coppell Middle School North talent show, performing “I’d Rather Be In Love” by Michelle Branch. After his first performance at the talent show, Euhus went on to learn how to play the piano, guitar and mandolin.

After the talent show, Euhus continued to play music and perform at venues such as Dallas’ Curtain Club and the Starlight Café. Performing in front of a large audience at various venues is sometimes difficult for Euhus due to his lack of a back-up band.

“It’s been so hard to find a back-up band,” Euhus said. “I want to perform and play shows, but I’ve been looking for musicians to help me out for about a year and half, but it all ends up failing.”

In the midst of this difficulty, in his sophomore year, Euhus got accepted into the Septien Music Program, in which he took numerous vocal and production lessons. Since the program was musically and not academically based, Euhus had to be home-schooled.

All the while, Euhus has written 15 to 20 songs, some taking him a few days to write, while others took weeks upon months. He has also taken it upon himself to record and produce these songs. He does all of his recordings from the convenience of his own laptop and the help of Pro Tools 8, a program used by Hollywood producers.

“Ben has gone way beyond playing just the guitar,” Stacy Euhus said. “He has learned other instruments, including how to use a synthesizer. Many of his songs have brass and strings in them; all sounds he has placed in them by the synthesizer.”

After all of Euhus’ devotion and yearning to become more focused on his music, the news of the Song Placements opportunity was nothing but exciting for all of those who have watched Euhus’ music progress over the years.

“Song Placements is a great opportunity for him, definitely a good starting point for his music to get out there,” senior and longtime Euhus friend Jacilyn Watts said. “He’s grown a lot since I’ve known him and his talents have definitely matured into a more solid musician. This is just the beginning for him.”

For Euhus, no matter the route that Song Placements may take him, the journey of doing what he loves is far more important than a potential famed future.

“I’ve loved music all my life,” Euhus said. “Song Placements is a great thing and I’m glad to be a part of it. But I was happy without it before I got signed, and I’ll be happy regardless.”

Listen to Ben Euhus’ music at http://www.myspace.com/beneuhus

1