St. Anthony finds permanent home at Kimbell

The art world is all a-buzz about the Kimbell Art Museum’s newest acquisition. Even for those of you not entirely familiar with the art world, the new piece that will be showcased in Kimbell’s permanent collection is a huge deal.

Wait for it…

Wait for it…

Michelangelo’s earliest known work, The Torment of St. Anthony, will be the newest member of Kimbell’s hallowed halls. To be honest, the possession of this piece will probably be the factor that makes Kimbell’s halls hallowed.

Imagine if  you were able to see Monet’s thought process as he painted the Water-Lilly Pond, or Da Vinci as he decided give the Mona Lisa a wry smile. The Torment of St. Anthony, along with the rest of the display, helps viewers understand the process that went into Michelangelo’s work.

After viewing this piece in New York over the summer, I was jumping out of my seat with excitement to learn it would be coming to Dallas. The piece, Michelangelo’s version of The Temptations of St. Anthony, was restored to show the vibrant colors originally painted.

The Torment of St. Anthony will be housed at the Kimell Art Museum

In addition, viewers can easily see where Michelangelo changed his mind, and decided to move some shapes to better organize the composition of the piece.

Viewing The Torment of St. Anthony is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, being brought to Kimbell for a lifetime.